Strikeforce champion, Overeem says: “Compared to MMA, K-1 is easy

« Older   Newer »
test_rko
view post Posted on 2/12/2009, 00:14

Strikeforce heavyweight champion, Alistair Overeem has compared his experiences in both MMA and K-1 saying if K-1’s elite were to cross over to mixed martial arts he would defeat them in two or three minutes.

Speaking to K-1’s official website, Overeem said:

Though they look similar, they are totally different sports. There is no fighter who holds the top title in both [K-1 and MMA]. If the other top eight K-1 fighters fought me in MMA, I would beat them in two or three minutes. It's a different arena. Anyway, K-1 isn't my ultimate goal. It's a side road. A checkpoint. I just want to have fun. If it's not, I'll just go back to MMA. MMA is a tough sport. There are five, five-minute rounds, and you have stand-up and ground techniques. You have not only punches, but you get kneed in the face repeatedly. Then K-1 is three, three-minute rounds. PRIDE had 10 minutes per round, right? Even with conditions like that, I am one of the top fighters. Compared to that, K-1 is easy.

Overeem has been called out by the best Strikeforce has to offer, including heavy hitting Brett Rogers only yesterday, to return to the United States and defend his heavyweight crown. Will the Dutchman answer the call or is he intent on staying longer over in Japan?

0 replies since 2/12/2009, 00:14   28 views