With Poland conquered, teenage prodigy Marcin Held hopes for big-stage MMA offer

« Older   Newer »
test_rko
view post Posted on 26/2/2010, 13:33

Marcin Held found the beginning of his promising mixed-martial-arts career on a billboard.

The then-9-year-old Held was searching for something new to try, and he spotted the advertisement for a gym in his Polish city of Tychy. He wandered in to check out the facility.

"It was (an) accident," Held in his improving English this week. "The club is one of the best in jiu jitsu in Poland."

And Held took to it quickly. Now, at 18, the 155-pounder already has an 8-0 start to his professional career after compiling an undefeated amateur record.

Now, like many fighters in eastern European countries, Held wants a chance to fight in front of a wider audience. As the sport grows in popularity there – helped by a December fight involving five-time World's Strongest Man champion Mariusz Pudzianowski that, according to some, was watched by 15 percent of the country's residents – fighters such as Held are looking for their ticket to bigger organizations.

And Held, even more than some, seems to be prepared to make that jump.

"I think he's phenomenal," said manager Sandro Gelke of Arete Agency, based in Las Vegas. "He's beating these grown men who have really good records, these tough, accomplished guys. Plus, he carries himself like he's someone much older."

But Held remains a teenager who has been a professional since he was 16. In December, he won three fights in one night at an MMA Challengers event at a venue called the Szombierki Heat and Power Plant Hall in Poland.

Coming off of that success, one of the top practitioners of Brazilian jiu jitsu in Poland is hoping to branch out.

"I want to fight in other countries," Held said. "If there is an opportunity, I will fight very hard."

Growing up quickly

Held was 9 when he first found the jiu-jitsu gym, and he quickly matured in the art. It didn't take long for him to find his way into amateur fights, and he said he remains unbeaten as an amateur with a 25-0 record.

He loved the Brazilian jiu jitsu and hoped he could possibly practice it exclusively, but there were few monetary rewards, so he increased his training in other aspects of MMA and remained advanced for his age.

His professional debut came in September 2008, when he was 16.

"I was nervous some," Held said. "I had many amateur fights, so it wasn't very different. I did the same things."

Like winning. By his second pro fight, Held was matched against an opponent he respected, Artur Sowinski (now 6-2) and won by decision to increase his confidence.

At the same time, MMA in Poland continued to grow. Although not nearly as popular as in other countries, many more fans are coming to events and showing interest in the fighters, Held said.

"It is not like in (the) USA or Japan, but year to year it's growing very fast," he said.

It helped that one of the country's athletic stars, Pudzianowski, appeared on televisions at a KSW show on Dec. 11 and beat his opponent in 43 seconds with furious punching.

"All the Polish guys watched this fight," Held said.

Soon, he said, more fighters will likely end up in the country's growing gyms for training. Then, there's the question of what happens when those fighters find success, as Held is experiencing now.

He's having trouble getting out of his own country.

Looking for a fight

After reading a story on Held, Gelke went through several European contacts to find the young fighter and represent him. He found a fighter whose personality he liked immediately and whose abilities earned the same respect.

"I'm a fighter who likes fights on the ground," Held said. "I do very well at grappling, but I am also doing better at striking."

He proved his abilities at the Dec. 6 show with three wins in one night. The final two came against opponents who entered the event with undefeated records of 2-0 and 9-0. Both ended in first-round submission victories.

"Marcin has done pretty much everything he can do in Poland right now," Gelke said. "I think if we saw him get a shot at a bigger show, he would really turn into something special."

That has been the challenge for Held and Gelke. Despite assurances that his skills are legitimate and he would be willing to fight at either 155 or 145 pounds, the bigger shows have not bitten.

In the meantime, Held is splitting his time between training and education while taking a train in between so he can study during the ride. He hopes to continue making his career in MMA, but he also wants to have options just in case.

So Gelke continues to promote his young Polish star, who has yet to lose a fight as an amateur or a pro and wants his opportunity against more skilled opponents.

"I wish more U.S. promoters would get behind these foreign fighters," Gelke said. "It's really a struggle. They don't want to fool with the visas and the flights, and communication can be more difficult.

"Marcin's the perfect example of a guy who needs a chance."

0 replies since 26/2/2010, 13:33   65 views