Ricardo Arona recovering well from surgery, hoping to fight this year

« Older   Newer »
test_rko
view post Posted on 1/3/2010, 00:59

Former PRIDE light heavyweight star, Ricardo Arona has revealed he is healing well from surgey to correct a torn meniscus and that he hopes to be back in action at some point during 2010.

Speaking via Sherdog.com, Arona said:

“I injured a ligament in the first round, but at the end of the second round, when I put my foot on the Octagon grid, I must have (torn) my meniscus. From that point on I felt a really hard pain, but I returned in the third round and fought standing up until the bell rang.”

“In July I’ll restart my MMA training. I got some calls from two American events. I want to be fighting in October or November.”

Arona also commented on the recent return to form for Wanderlei Silva and the recently awarded middleweight title shot for Jiu-Jitsu wizard, Demian Maia.

“It was the first time I saw Wanderlei fighting for real, conscious and managing the result. He showed a good evolution by studying his opponent’s game. Demian is going to be an excellent test for Anderson to show his jiu-jitsu skills and prove if he really has a high level on the ground.”

Arona hinted earlier this year that he was in possible discussions with the UFC about making his octagon debut when he returns from this most recent set back. With only one fight in three years and already known for not having much of a gas tank, I’d expect Arona will need to prove his worth first.

0 replies since 1/3/2010, 00:59   37 views