UFC 111 - Hardy says he’s planning on knocking out St. Pierre in Newark

« Older   Newer »
test_rko
view post Posted on 3/3/2010, 23:42

UFC welterweight number one contender, Dan “The Outlaw” hardy says his goal for UFC 111 on March 27th in Newark, New Jersey is simple… knockout champion, Georges St. Pierre.

Speaking via MMAWeekly Dan Hardy said:

“It’s difficult because he is looking good at the moment and it’s a difficult spotlight to be in, but all I need to do is land that one punch and that’s all I’m interested in. My game is striking. He knows that. I know that. It’s going to be no surprise that he’s going to want to take me down, and I’m going to want to knock him out. I’ve just got to go in there and apply my game plan. I’ve been working hard. I know exactly what I’ve got to do.”

“I’ve got a good bunch of guys on my team. They’ve always prepared me well for fights, so I didn’t want to change too much. I brought in a couple of new guys, a couple of wrestlers that are on the British team and things like that. I brought in a couple different guys, but if it’s not broke, don’t fix it. I’ve got a winning formula at the moment. I’m just preparing as normal for a good tear up, and I’m looking forward to it.”

“I don’t think his striking is particularly brilliant. He’s a great fighter, don’t get me wrong, but he’s a great well-rounded fighter. In a kickboxing match, I’d be able to play with him pretty much. The thing that makes him effective with his striking is his ability to take people down. So he’s effective because people are scared of the takedown, and because they’re scared of the takedown they’re not putting fists on him, which is how he’s winning his fights. Serra went in there with a different frame of mind, you know, let’s put some fists on him and see what happens, and we all know what happened.”

“I think the difference between me and the other people that he’s been fighting is that they’ve been conscious of his takedown. I’m the kind of guy that will just swing at him with a grin on my face and if I end up on the floor, I’ll worry about that when I get there. You’ll be seeing all kinds of things in there. I’ll be throwing everything from the floor. I’ve got a few tricks. If it hits the ground, everybody knows what my game plan is. I’m going to get back to the feet so I can beat the fake tan off him. That’s all I’m interested in.”

Hardy has looked better every time we’ve seen him inside the octagon, with his latest win coming over Mike Swick last November in Manchester, England. Will the extra time taken to prepare for the biggest fight of his career reward the British fighter with the biggest prize of them all? Just a few weeks left until we find out!

0 replies since 3/3/2010, 23:42   135 views