Cesar Gracie gives his thoughts on a fight between Canseco and Walker

« Older   Newer »
test_rko
view post Posted on 3/3/2010, 23:54

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu master, Cesar Gracie has given his thoughts on a fight between former Major League Baseball player, Jose Canseco and former NFL star, Herschel Walker, saying it could be the most watched fight ever despite how new the pair are to the sport.

Speaking via MMAWeekly Gracie said:

Jose walked in to our gym and said, ’hey, I would love to train with you guys. You own three of the belts in Strikeforce. I believe you’re the best camp out there.’ Why wouldn’t we train the guy? Because he wrote a book about baseball and steroids? He’s just like anybody else walking in off the street. If a promotion wants to give him a fight, it’s like if anyone else walking off the street wanted to fight, so I’m not going to say no. I’m going to say come on in, and it’s kind of a challenge for me

Can we teach this guy who has no ability in MMA, and can we get him in three months, not to fight a contender, because I wouldn’t even waste my time, but to fight a guy like Herschel Walker? Who, to his credit, has learned some MMA and everything. That would be the challenge on my part, so I said, ’Yeah, come on in. Let’s try this challenge. Let’s try to make it where you beat this guy,’ and that’s it. That’s my mindset on that

I like Herschel. He’s a great guy. I’ve met him and I’ve talked to him. I’ve got a lot of respect for the guy. He’s a phenomenal athlete, and then all of a sudden he wants to dabble in MMA. That’s great. And here’s Jose Conseco, I understand the bad guy for writing a book about steroids, which all came out to be true. You can hate on the guy or whatever, but he wants to do it too. I mean let’s face it, this is a money industry. Let’s not make no qualms about that. There would be no UFC, no Strikeforce, no MMA really if people weren’t paying to watch, and I guarantee you’d have well over a million people watching Conseco fight Herschel Walker. It would bring so many fans to the sport. I’m not a promoter, and I’m by no means trying to push for this fight

Canseco is lobbying hard for a fight with Walker and is currently in talks with Strikeforce over a contract. It emerged today that CBS are very keen on including Walker on the upcoming April card in Nashville and a fight with Canseco, no matter how unlikely at this stage, could be just the medicine. Check out the video below of Canseco taking instruction from Nick Diaz.

0 replies since 3/3/2010, 23:54   136 views