UFC 114 - Lyoto Machida speaks out ahead of rematch with Shogun

« Older   Newer »
test_rko
view post Posted on 5/3/2010, 04:18

UFC light heavyweight champion, Lyoto Machida has been giving his thoughts ahead of the May rematch with Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, describing the former PRIDE fighter as electric.

Speaking via Tatame Magazine, Machida said:

I’m training since December for this fight. We’re focusing each part of the game every training. Now we’re doing a lot of specific training and, of course, fighting him for the second time we know more about each other.Look, I’m trying to forget it. It’s a new fight. Shogun is a very eclectic fighter, he has this capacity of changing. I’m focusing some aspects and we don’t know what’s gonna happen

Machida also gave his thoughts on the upcoming fight between friend and training partner, Anderson Silva and ground wizard, Demian Maia.

Vitor would fight more standing, that’s his characteristic, and Demian makes the fight more dangerous too, but with his background in jiu-jitsu. If Demian tries to fight standing it’ll be a disadvantage for him. I don’t know what’s Anderson’s strategy, but I believed he changed it a lot in this aspect. Maybe he was trying less jiu-jitsu because he would face Vitor

Every fight brings its danger. Demian is a really dangerous fighter, mainly on the ground. He’s getting better in striking, but Anderson is great in that. Anderson’s level, especially in striking, is huge. The fight starts standing so it’s an advantage for Anderson. Demian is really dangerous n his area, but it’s not easy to take Anderson down.

Machida controversially defeated “Shogun” back at UFC 104 in October, winning a back and forth five round decision much to the dismay of many fans and critics alike. Will we get a decisive finish this time around or will there be further controversy in Montreal, Quebec, Canada?

0 replies since 5/3/2010, 04:18   1060 views