Strikeforce CEO, Scott Coker unconcerned by UFC counter-programming

« Older   Newer »
test_rko
view post Posted on 5/3/2010, 19:27

Strikeforce CEO, Scott Coker has revealed that he’s not concerned by the recent news that the UFC plan to hold an event on the same night as their next show on CBS in Nashville, Tennessee, saying the three title fights on the card should more than hold their own.

Speaking via MMAJunkie Coker said:

“CBS had an opportunity to do the fight on the 24th and go after the WEC pay-per-view date, and they said, ‘No, let's just do it on the 17th and be nice guys’. Now that the counter-programming is coming their way, I think there is some fluidity in what could happen. It hasn't been decided yet. I think we're meeting probably Monday. But for now, everything is going to be locked and loaded for the 17th.”

“I think it is what it is. And I can tell you this: Dan Henderson fighting Jake, Gilbert fighting Aoki, and 'King Mo' fighting Gegard, I think it's a strong enough card to sell on its own. The San Francisco 49ers can play on a Sunday, and the Oakland Raiders can play on the same Sunday, and they both sell-out, right? To me, we have a strong card, and I feel very good about it.”

“There's so many fights out there. We're going to do 20 fights this year, and they're going to do a bunch of fights. It's inevitable that there will be a conflict at some point.”

The Zuffa owned promotion could shoot themselves in the foot in the long run if Strikeforce decide to move it back a week and go head-to-head with the $44.95 WEC Pay-Per-View. Stay tuned to MMB in the coming days for more on this as we get it.

0 replies since 5/3/2010, 19:27   129 views