James Toney tells Couture “lets make it happen”, targets a June/July debut

« Older   Newer »
test_rko
view post Posted on 5/3/2010, 19:35

Heavyweight boxing champion, James “Light’s Out” Toney has sent a clear message to UFC “Hall of Famer” Randy Couture about meeting in the octagon, telling “The Natural” to make it happen, as well as saying the first time fans will see him compete in the world of MMA should be either June or July.

Speaking via FightHype Toney said:

“Damn…oh really? That's what I'm talking about. That's right up my alley. Oh, hell yeah! ...Let me tell you something, I came to the UFC to do one thing and that's to fight the best out there. If it's Couture, so be it. If it's somebody else, so be it. Let's get it on and popping. When Dana White said MMA fighters are better than boxers, come on now, you know better than that.”

“All day! The fights start standing and that's my comfort zone all day, you heard me. If they think they going to rush me to the ground and think it's going to be easy and I don't know what I'm doing, come on man. I'm a very strong man. I know what I have to do and if they shoot in on me, they getting launched into outer space like a satellite.
Juanito Ibarra, he's good man; that motherf*cker know his shit. He got Rampage to the top and we gonna do the same thing. I'm going to destroy these dudes. If Randy Couture put on his Twitter page that he wants to see me, tell him it ain't shit. Let's make it happen. If not in June, he can be the one after that.”

“They talking about June or July, so I'll be ready. That still gives me plenty of time, you know what I'm saying?
UFC 115 is on June and is rumored to be headlined by the third bout between TUF 11 coaches, Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz, while UFC 116 which is on July, and is rumored to be the return of the UFC's biggest PPV draw, Brock Lesnar. If Toney's fight indeed pushes through on either date, it looks like he's going to be fighting along side the UFC's biggest stars.”

“Dana is a business man and he's done a great job with the UFC and he brought it back to the top of the game. Now he has the top dog in boxing in his organization and it's going to flourish even more now. Like I said, I'm already a heavyweight boxing champion and now I'm coming to the UFC. I'm bringing everything: excitement, charisma and pizzazz. They gonna love it and they gonna need more, you know what I'm saying?”

It looks likely that Toney’s first opponent will be legendary street fighter, “Kimbo Slice” after the former EliteXC star was pulled from his fight with Matt Mitrione at UFC 113 in May only yesterday, hours after “Light’s Out” put pen to paper.

0 replies since 5/3/2010, 19:35   396 views